Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 27 October 2010

Costa del Sol: the works

Today's flight took me from Jerez down to the coast (near Vejer la frontera if you want to google it) and then along past Gibraltar again but this time to keep heading northeast and land at Malaga International. Yes here in Spain the little Toros can play with the big boys. I was downwind to land on runway 13 and they managed to get 2 easyjet flights out before me. The second one was a bit annoyed I think because he was told to 'expedite' his departure due to landing Cessna 150 on final!!!

But more of that later. Firstly, a bit of a surprise while approaching Gibraltar. The weather is very unusual. As you can see, today there was a cap-cloud right over the rock, but none anywhere else. I was admiring the sight and talking to (or as we pilots like to say, 'working') Gibraltar radar. I asked the controller if there was any traffic to affect my passing around and to the south and east of the rock at 4500ft. He suddenly said "Toro 810 you're very lucky. I have no further traffic reported for the next 20 minutes, would you like to descend across the bay and fly overhead the runway at 500ft, west to east?"

WOULD I!? This was a "Tower this is Ghostrider requesting a fly-by" moment, but in reverse. (From Top Gun, in case somehow you've forgotten or worse, don't know). "Roger Gibraltar, Toro 810 for a fly-by". No I didn't really say that, but I wanted to. So from 4500ft heading east I started a tight turn to north and dived down at a good 700ft per minute, down to my 'hard deck' at 500ft. He reminded me to go no lower, as the road was still open that goes right across the runway, but I wasn't going any higher either. Much too much fun. Having recently seen a TV programme about Gibraltar airport (world's most dangerous airports!) I have to say I was a little nervous, but very excited too. Here's a picture at about a mile out, with the rock covered in cap-cloud on the right. Don't worry, the lines are not the Gibraltar power grid. They are shadows created by the propellor.

All to quickly my moment of glory was over, and with a quick word of thanks to the controller I climbed away to the northeast, and headed for Malaga International. The procedure for small aircraft arrivals into Malaga is to descend to 1000ft before Marbella, then track along the coast to Torremlinos, and then finally turn towards the runway, still at 1000ft, for a downwind join. So I got to see all the holidaymakers getting toasted as I flew in. I could almost smell the Hawaian Tropic rising in the heat....

So a quick stop at Malaga International. I had a 'follow-me' car which came out to the taxiway and then drove just ahead of me to the small aircraft parking. Flight plan and fuelling done, an hour later I was bound for home. For the return flight to Jerez I decided to climb high and go over the mountains. The highest one between Malaga and Jerez is 4500ft, so I climbed to 6500 and got a good view of it down my left hand side, as you can see.

No comments: