Powered By Blogger

Friday 11 November 2011

Way to go Idaho


Today we went into the 'back country' again for some serious terrain work. You remember that video that I posted a couple of weeks ago with some extreme airstrips. Well we flew into a couple of them today. They were so much fun I'm surprised it's legal. However without training this environment is dangerous-every year there is at least one light aircraft crash in the mountains.
Some of the strips are at the bottom of steep valleys, and others are on slightly higher ground, but surrounded by trees and rocky outcrops.
Here is one we flew into today. As you can see the huge pines are right along both sides of the runway, and also at one end. We practiced a few take-offs and landings here, and then parked the aircraft at the end of the strip while we went down to the river to eat our packed lunches.






Truly an amazing place. It has been a real priviledge to fly here, and it has nearly come to an end. I have one more flight to complete tomorrow in the Nampa area, and my flight training will be complete. I have a few days in the simulator next week to polish up some instrument flying, but otherwise my training here in the US will be complete. I hope you have enjoyed following my adventures. Stay tuned for a few further photos next week, and then next year you'll see some more flying, this time in AFRICA!
T

1 comment:

Steve said...

Loving the snow already! Glad you've survuved flying out of the forest! Not sure that you'll find the same trees or snow in African landing strips, but good experience I guess! Now just sit on the big plane home and don't be tempted to take over in the front seat! (They might not like it!)

Steve