Powered By Blogger

Saturday 22 October 2011

Welcome to Idaho, have a nice Potato



Hi, it's been a while (a year actually) since my last blog post, where you may remember you left me in Spain, avoiding the rain in the plain, in a plane.

Since then I've joined Mission Aviation Fellowship as a pilot and am currently at the MAF US headquarters in Nampa, Idaho (see right) where I'll be taking a 'Flight Standardisation Course'.

The course starts on Monday and comprises two weeks of groundschool (pilot speak for classroom based learning) and two weeks of sheer pleasure, flying a small aircraft around the spectacular scenery of the Idaho mountains while learning bush and mountain flying techniques which I'll be needing in Africa.

I've been to the US a few times before, and so was expecting a robust but friendly process at Seattle's Sea-Tac airport to be admitted to this great nation. Imagine my surprise (and slight quickening of my pulse) when on arrival I was asked by the customs official to step into a side room, where he proceeded to slowly and deliberately place a pair of blue surgical gloves on his large hands. He then asked me if I was bringing any weapons, drugs or food into the country, to which I politely answered "No". He then opened my case and on the top was my secret stash of Earl Grey tea in a clear plastic bag.

After a long pause he looked me straight in the eye and said "Thank you sir, you can proceed". Like I said, robust but friendly.

It's good to be in the USA. Nampa is a friendly place. A fellow shopper came up to me at the meat counter at American Asda (or as they call it here, Walmart) and told me I had to buy a 5lb pack of chicken breasts because "they're a steal, my friend" at $7. The food is much cheaper than in British Walmart and all the portions are much bigger.

Oh, and there's the potatoes. Idaho is the home of the potato apparently. All the license plates say 'IDAHO, FAMOUS POTATO". Can't say I've met a famous one but I'm just hoping that after a month here I'll not come home looking like a potato.

More on Monday...






1 comment:

Pastor Keith said...

Welcome back to the blogosphere